10 Quotes about living in the present moment
1. The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly. –Buddha
2. Each moment is a chance for us to make peace with the world, to make peace possible for the world, to make happiness possible for the world. –Thich Nhat Hanh
3. Be still, and know that I am God. –Psalm 46:10
4. Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. –Jesus (Matthew 6:34 Message Translation)
5. Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness. –James Thurber
6. Rejoice in the things that are present; all else is beyond thee. –Montaigne
7. I got the blues thinking of the future, so I left off and made some marmalade. It’s amazing how it cheers one up to shred oranges and scrub the floor. –D.H. Lawrence
8. Living in the present moment creates the experience of eternity. –Deepak Chopra
9. Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. –Lao Tzu
10. You can experience, on a surface level, happiness and unhappiness, but they are minor movements on the surface of your being. I compare this to lighting a candle in a dark room. The candle is lit, and then suddenly the candle is extinguished. That makes a big difference in a dark room.
But if you open the shutters and let the sunlight stream into the room, the effect of the candle, lit or unlit, happiness or unhappiness, makes little difference. In the absence of the sunlight your happiness will appear extreme, as if your ego has triumphed over the universe, but you are at the mercy of the wind of phenomena, and when, as it will, unhappiness returns, the candle flame dies and you are in the depths of darkness.
Allow the sunlight into the room by saying “Yes” to the present moment. If you go deep into the Now, there is always peace and joy there. It doesn’t depend on the ups and downs of object consciousness. The joy of the present moment is the sunlight that fills your life. The ups and downs of object consciousness are the flames of the candle. –Eckhart Tolle